Our History & Tradition
Celebrating over 150 years of formation and service, the roots of the parish and school reach back to 1856. The Catholic settlers of the Banklick River Valley established a Catholic parish and school called Holy Guardian Angels in Sandfordtown. The parish and school grew in number, and in 1958, they were moved to the present day location because of the generous gift of the Gripshover family. The Holy Guardian Angels Parish and School were renamed after St. Pius X. In 1958, the new school was constructed to accommodate the growing population. It opened on the feast of its patron saint, and it was the beginning of St. Pius X Elementary School. In 1988, a new church was built through the generosity of the growing number of parishioners. The school was modernized and expanded in 2004. This expansion created a St. Pius X campus with state of the art facilities and technology. At that time, the school was designed with an eye for the future. The expectation was that St. Pius X School would become one of the largest diocesan elementary schools.
Currently, we are the largest diocesan elementary school with 650 students. We feel that the early settlers of the Banklick Valley with their humble one room classroom would be proud of the Christ-centered education that our students still receive today!